Saluyot | Corchorus olitorius Herbal Medicine
Saluyot uses, health benefits, side effects, warnings.Saluyot is a herbaceous vine that is a popular leafy vegetable in Southeast Asia. It is a good source of iron, vitamins B & C and calcium. Medicinal uses include treatment of gestational diabetes in pregnant women.
Scientific Name: Corchorus olitoriusAlso knows as:
Saluyot (Tagalog), Jute, Jew’s mallow, Egyptian spinach, jute mallow, bush okra, West African sorrel (En), Chang shouo huang ma (Ch). Krinkrin (Fr)
Saluyot (Corchorus olitorius) is an edible leafy vegetable that is a member of the genus Corchorus, classified under the subfamily Grewioideae of the family Malvaceae. Saluyot is widely found in tropical and subtropical areas from Asia to Africa valued as food and for its strong fiber. Saluyot has long been used as food staple since ancient times by Jewish people and Egyptians hence derived its English names Jew’s mallow and Egyptian spinach.
Saluyot leaves are very nutritious, it is rich in calcium, iron, protein, vitamin A, C and E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and dietary fibers. Saluyot is usually cooked as stew, forming a thick slimy syrup similar in consistency to okra usually taken with rice or other starchy staple.
Saluyot can almost grow anywhere in the Philippines. Saluyot is a hardy plant that is resistant to pests and requires little care. It can be found in the wild as it can also be grown in a farm.
Saluyot plants are tall, reaching 2-4 meters in height, having only a few side branches. Saluyot leaves are alternate, simple, lanceolate, about 5-15 cm in length tapering to a pointed tip and has finely serrated margin. Saluyot flowers are yellow about 2-3 cm wide with five petals. The fruit is capsule like with plenty of small seeds inside.
Saluyot | Corchorus olitorius Medicinal Uses
Saluyot in Traditional and Folkloric Medicine
- Saluyot being rich in vitamins and minerals generally promotes good health and well-being.
- Saluyot being rich in vitamin A can provide health benefits for good eyesight.
- Saluyot contains vitamin E and other antioxidants. It is said to prevent wrinkles and promote youthful looking skin.
- Saluyot is used to treat inflammation and pain such as arthritis , headache, stomach ache and others.
- Saluyot being rich in fiber helps to control blood pressure, cholesterol build-up, diabetes and prevents heart disease.
- Saluyot leaves are rich in fiber and its slimy consistency when cooked is used to treat various digestive problems such as diarrhea, stomach ache, dysentery, constipation and ulcers.
- It is also claimed that together with other herbs it can cure cancer.